“A person who is obsessed thinks about heaven frequently. Obsessed people orient their lives around eternity; they are not fixed only on what is here in front of them.” (pg. 142)
“A person who is obsessed is characterized by committed, settled, passionate love for God, above and before every other thing and every other being.” (pg. 143)
“People who are obsessed with God have an intimate relationship with Him. They are nourished by God’s Word throughout the day because they know that forty minutes on Sunday is not enough to sustain them for a whole week, especially when they will encounter so many distractions and alternative messages.” (pg. 145)
“A person who is obsessed with Jesus is more concerned with his or her character than comfort. Obsessed people know that true joy doesn’t depend on circumstances or environment; it is a gift that must be chosen and cultivated, a gift that ultimately comes from God.” (see James 1:2-4) (pg. 146)
“A Person who is obsessed with Jesus knows that the best thing he can do is be faithful to his Savior in every aspect of his life, continually saying ‘Thank You!’ to God. An obsessed person knows there can never be intimacy if he is always trying to pay God back or work hard enough to be worthy. He revels in his role as child and friend of God.” (pgs. 147-148)
Here is a quick recap of the obsessed:
People who are obsessed with Jesus…
- obey God
- take joy in serving others
- are known as givers, not takers
- think about Heaven and orient their lives around eternity
- are characterized by committed, settled, passionate love for God
- have an intimate relationship with Him
- are nourished by God’s Word throughout the day
- are more concerned with character than comfort
- know that true joy doesn’t depend on circumstances, but is a gift from God
- know that they can never work hard enough to be worthy
- find rest in their role as children and friends of God
Are you an obsessed follower of Jesus? Or are you just a fan?
Please share your thoughts in the COMMENTS section or on FACEBOOK.
See Crazy Love by Francis Chan to learn more about what it looks like to be obsessed with Jesus.